Zazulete Ynn Anuca Romanța Ion
When summer feels close, one of my favorite dishes for enjoying fresh herbs and other goodies is zucchini croquettes, an easy and quick recipe that you can enjoy both hot and cold, as a simple crunch or with your favorite dip (such as any refreshing yogurt or cheesy dip). I often cook them through summer and autumn and they are a tasty and nutritious alternative to meat. I prefer to cook them as deep fried in vegetable oil, for the extra crustiness, but if you prefer the healthier version, cook them in your oven, over parchment and sprinkled with some olive oil.
Moreover, you can use this recipe as veggie burger idea. Quite a versatile dish, when it comes to its uses, possible combinations of veggies or when it comes to the sauces and dips you can enjoy it with. And a great addition to any party, you know me, a part girl, always thinking of party food!
INGREDIENTS (serves 3-4)
1 small zucchini, grated
1 small potato, grated
a small leek or 2-3 green onions
2 spring garlic or 2 garlic cloves
100g melting cheese (Gouda, cascaval etc)
1 tbsp all purpose flour
about 2 tbsp of spring herbs mix (parsley, tarragon, dill, chervil, etc.)
What is lovely about the leek, if you chop it coarsely, is that it gives an extra crunchiness when those rings fry. You just have to be a little more careful to create a batter that is thick enough to not break in the pan.
- In a large bowl, chop and grate the ingredients. Chop the herbs, onion (or leek) and the spring garlic. Grate the zucchini and the potato.
The moisture of the zucchini will be great to absorb the flour, and thicken the batter, but if you feel it is too moist, you can squeeze the water from it before adding it into the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Beat the eggs well in a separate bowl, with salt and freshly ground pepper. At this point, you can add more spices if you like (such as nutmeg), but I suggest to try this recipe in its simplest form first, to taste the zucchini, which already has a delicate flavor.
- Use your hand to mix the veggies and the eggs together. Mix them well, until all ingredients are impregnated with the eggs mixture.
- Add the flour and continue to mix, until you get a batter that is similar to mashed potatoes. You can add more flour if you feel it is needed, but keep in mind the potatoes starch will act as a thickener once you begin the cooking process.
- Add and mix in the cheese.
- When the batter is ready, heat the oil pan (with vegetable oil) and add the croquettes one by one with a spoon. It is best to not use an oil bath for a proper deep fry, but just a pan with a little oil in it. You coarsely add them in the pan and flatten them a little with your spoon.
- Let them fry on each side for a few minutes, until brown, on medium heat.
- Remove them from the pan and place them on paper to leave the excess oil behind.
Enjoy their crunchiness and sweetness, full of late spring flavor, with dips, salads or as veggie burger.
Cover photo: Zazulete Ynn Anuca Romanta Ion
A melting pot experience, in more than one way. Welcome to our Epicurean adventure!